The interior of the Anglo-Saxon (late 8th-early 9th century) church of St. Mary the Virgin, Deerhurst, Gloucestershire.
Creative Commons Attribution
The Priory of St. Mary the Virgin in Deerhurst was founded sometime before 804, and was an important foundation in the kingdom of the Hwicce. One of Deerhurst's monks, St. Alphege, became the Archbishop of Canterbury, and was martyred by the Danes in 1012.
This photograph of the interior of the surviving church shows the high Anglo-Saxon double windows in the church tower. The arched windows and lower arches in the nave are of a later date; like most medieval churches, it ws altered and renovated numerous times over the centuries. The church contains several Anglo-Saxon carvings, and the best-preserved Anglo-Saxon baptismal font in England. It also contains later medieval stained glass and brasses.
Friends of Deerhurst Church. "A Brief History of Deerhurst and Its Churches."